Do you have severe pain in your teeth? Is your face or gums swollen? Or did you knock out your teeth? All these dental issues require emergency dental care. A dental emergency can occur anytime, anywhere, and the best way to handle it is by visiting the emergency dentist in Prosper right away. Our experts are here to help you with a list of common dental emergencies that require immediate care.
When Do I Need Emergency Dental Care?
A toothache is usually a warning sign of a deeper-rooted dental issue that needs attention. There are different reasons for a throbbing toothache, such as infections, decay, teeth grinding, etc. Although certain toothaches may seem manageable, it is always best to visit the emergency dentist.
A good dentist will find out the underlying cause of your tooth pain right away and provide the necessary treatment. Ignoring a toothache or taking painkillers or trying home remedies or aspirin to stop the pain can be detrimental to your oral health. You may also end up losing your tooth and it may affect your surrounding teeth. Therefore, make sure you visit the dentist right away but in the meantime, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Swish your mouth with a saltwater solution to clean and remove any bacteria or food stuck in your teeth. It will help to soothe the inflammation and provide you with temporary relief.
- You can apply a cold compress on the outside of the cheek near the affected area. You can place an ice pack wrapped in a towel or washcloth and hold it for 20 minutes.
Chipped Or Cracked Teeth
Did you chip your tooth while biting on something hard or while opening something with your teeth? In such situations, you may experience severe pain, and you need to visit the Emergency dentist immediately. If you suffer from bruxism or use your teeth to open packages, or if you have an active lifestyle, all these habits can cause chips or cracks in your teeth. In such situations, you may experience severe pain, and you need to visit the Emergency dentist immediately. Follow the steps mentioned below in case of a chipped or cracked tooth.
- Immediately swish your mouth with warm water to help remove any blood or debris.
- To stop the bleeding place a gauze or clean towel & apply pressure to the affected area.
- If there are any missing pieces of tooth, and gently wash them and store it in milk & bring it while visiting the emergency dentist.
- In case of severe pain that won’t stop, you can take an over-the-counter pain reliever or anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin. But make sure you visit the emergency dentist.
A knocked-out tooth is a common dental emergency, and you need to get emergency dental care within an hour to restore your tooth. You can take the steps mentioned below for the best chance of saving your tooth.
- Locate the knocked-out tooth and hold it by the crown without touching the roots.
- Gently run it under water to remove the dirt and debris & make sure not to use soap or tissues to clean or dry the tooth.
- If possible try to reinsert the tooth into the socket and make sure it’s facing the right direction.
- However, if you can’t place it back you can place the tooth in milk and visit the dentist.
Lost Filling Or Crown
Dental restorations like crowns and fillings are used to support and strengthen your weak or decayed tooth. Therefore, in case of loose or lost crowns or fillings, you need to get emergency dental care to avoid damage to your teeth. If left untreated, your tooth might get reinfected and cause a lot of pain. You can also take certain measures for the best chance of saving your tooth.
- Store the lost restoration in a plastic bag.
- Swish salt water solution to prevent infections.
- Book an emergency appointment to seek emergency dental care as soon as possible.
- Don’t chew near the affected area until your treatment.
If you avoid getting treatment for your decayed tooth, it can expose your pulp to bacteria causing infections. This infection when left untreated, can further spread to your surrounding teeth or even worse, the rest of your body. Therefore, if you have signs of an abscessed tooth, such as severe toothaches, pimples on your gums, swelling, bad breath, etc. You need to visit the dentist immediately. You need to get emergency dental care as soon as possible as this type of dental emergency can be life-threatening.
Injuries To Your Soft-Tissues
If you experience an injury to your tongue, lips, gums, or cheek that causes bleeding, you should visit the emergency dentist. You can start by swishing saltwater in your mouth. You can use gauze to stop the bleeding and apply a cold compress for some relief. If the bleeding continues, make sure you visit the dentist right away.
Get Immediate Relief With Emergency Dental Care
Dental emergencies can be painful and traumatizing, but with the best Emergency dental care you can get immediate relief, and it will restore your smile. If you have a chipped, knocked out, or severe toothache, make sure you visit the dentist in Prosper right away to get the necessary care & to save your tooth.